Position: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Senior Field Director
Work Location: Remote within the U.S.
Start date: May 2020
The National Domestic Workers Alliance (www.domesticworkers.org) organizes domestic workers in the United States for respect, recognition and labor standards. We work to guarantee labor protections for domestic workers by winning legislation at the state level, pushing for regulatory changes at the national level, through culture and narrative change work, and by elevating domestic workers as key leaders in building a powerful movement for social and global justice. The Alliance formed in 2007 at the US Social Forum and is currently made up of over 70 local affiliate organizations and NDWA chapters, as well as a growing base of individual members. Overall, more than 200,000 nannies, home care workers and housecleaners in all 50 states are involved in NDWA’s work.
NDWA seeks an energetic, highly organized and values-aligned Special Assistant to the Field Director to provide programmatic, administrative and logistical support for emerging and ongoing projects. The Special Assistant will work closely with NDWA’s Field Team, made up of 35+ local, national and digital organizers, and will provide coordination and support for cross-team collaboration. The Special Assistant will help to set and manage complex and rapidly changing daily, weekly and long-term strategic priorities. This position will also play a key role in coordinating logistics and communications, and providing facilitation support for some of NDWA’s worker leadership bodies, including National Worker Councils.
- Assist in the management of special initiatives, including rapid response projects like the recent creation of the Coronavirus Care Fund or large-scale mobilizations to further campaigns, with the direction of the Senior Field Director.
- Help ensure that ongoing offerings like leadership development programs, membership gatherings, and worker meetings run in a smooth and timely manner. Ensure that worker leaders have information and logistical support to carry out their leadership roles.
- Co-facilitate meetings and worker gatherings.
- Conduct background research or prepare documents or presentations as needed to further ongoing Field Team projects.
Administrative and Operations Support
- Schedule and confirm internal and external meetings, catalogue incoming emails, and attend meetings with the Senior Field Director when necessary to provide logistical or note-taking support.
- Digest incoming information to extract key points, compile and analyze data, and communicate tradeoffs to assist with decision-making and prioritization.
- Track initiatives, monitor progress towards meeting goals and achieving benchmarks, ensure follow-through on the part of key persons, and help the Senior Field Director maintain the momentum needed to drive initiatives to completion.
- Create, maintain, and execute systems for Field Team coordination and communication.
- Manage online filing systems and ensure compliance with reporting requirements.
- Bilingual English/Spanish, and excellent verbal and written communication skills and translation/interpretation skills in both languages;
- Excellent relational skills: friendly, diplomatic, patient, cheerful, and a pleasant disposition;
- Expertise, skill, interest and commitment in doing administrative work- including office operations, communications systems, travel, database, and event support;
- Love of fast-paced environments and the ability to respond and pivot to shifting priorities;
- Experience in managing multiple projects and tasks;
- Meeting facilitation skills;
- Agreement and alignment with NDWA’s vision and values;
- Understanding of issues facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, and other communities of color;
- Proficiency with Google Suite, including Google Calendar, Google Docs, and Google Sheets;
- Excellent attention to detail and well organized;
- Ability to work well with diverse groups and populations;
- Ability to work flexible hours, including working some weekends, and to travel about 20% (once COVID-19 conditions allow);
- Ability to anticipate needs, take initiative and work independently;
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities, and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply. Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing samples in both English and Spanish to this platform. This position will remain open until filled.